Orintha Weller Chilson is my maternal 3x Great Grandmother. She was born the child of Roland Weller and Orpha Chilson in 1839 in Westhampton, MA. Her mother was only 16 at the time of her birth. Both would go on to have families of their own, with Orintha having 9 half siblings.
She would marry James Robinson Mollison on October 21, 1861 in Northampton. Prior to her marriage, she was working in Northampton.
- 1850: Westhampton MA living with maternal grandparents Lewis and Dorcas Damon Chilson. (Her mother had married in 1843). Also resident are her uncle Rodney Chilson and cousin George Chilson.
- 1860: Westhampton MA; living with Lewis and Dorcas Chilson, uncle Fordyce Chilson and his family.
- 1865: Massachusetts Census: Goshen MA with husband James Robinson and 3 month old John Stewart Mollison, my Great Great Grandfather.
- 1870: Goshen, MA with husband James, son John, and daughter Mary.
- 1880: Goshen, MA with husband James, son John, daughter Mary, and daughter Anne
- 1900: Goshen, MA with husband James.
- 1910: Goshen, MA with husband James. On the same census page as son John Stewart and family.
She would pass on July 18, 1915, six years to the day before the birth of my grandfather – Harold Tompkins Mollison.
I would love to know more about her, but she passed before any one I know or knew was born. She did leave some diaries and I have heard that she wrote to her mom and they would visit. But I don’t know of any pictures with her family, nor do I know if there was any sustained relationship with that part of the family after her passing. There has been no mention of a relationship with her father or the Weller side of the family.
I imagine a conversation with her would’ve been focused on her family and town activities. The population in Goshen when she married James Mollison was 439 vs slightly over 1,000 in the 2010 Census.
It’s also strange to me to image that she could not vote in her lifetime (just a thought as I’m writing this on Super Tuesday 2016).