John Stewart Mollison, or Grandpa John as I’ve most commonly heard him referenced, was the eldest child of James Robinson and Orintha Chilson Weller. He was born in Goshen, MA on January 16, 1865. He would go on to marry Lizzie Girvin, an Irish Immigrant, on March 31, 1891.
They had 3 children: James Stewart and twins Harold Jenkins and Harry Warnock. Harold died one month after he was born due to complications from pneumonia.
The family would live their life mostly in Goshen with Lizzie passing in 1923 and John Stewart in 1950. John would go on to marry Mabel Allen who passed in 1947. I have little to no information on Mabel Allen. John Stewart and Lizzie are buried in Goshen Cemetery, as is their infant son Harold. Harry would raise his family in nearby Worthington, MA.
Residences – John Stewart purchased a farm on South Main Street near the intersection of South Chesterfield Road. His son would later purchase a farm on South Main Street closer to Route 9. The below picture is incorrectly noted by Phyllis Mollison as being Orintha – it is in fact Elizabeth, or Lizzie Mollison. She is Stewart’s mother and John Stewart’s wife. I note the date as about 1895, Stewart would be 3 years old with his brothers not being born until Sept 1896.
- 1870 Census – Goshen, MA Student; with parents and sister Mary
- 1880 Census – Goshen, MA Student; with parents and both siblings
- 1900 Census – Goshen, MA Farmer, with Lizzie, James, and Harry
- 1910 Census – Goshen, MA Farmer with Lizzie, “Stuart J”, and Harry.
- 1913 City Directory – Goshen, MA city directory; lists John S with Lizzie, and lists his occupation as “sherif”. It also posts James R with Orintha
- 1920 Census – unknown yet for John Stewart. Lizzie was residing with Stewart, Emeline, Lena, George, and James in Goshen.
- 1923 City Directory – Mrs Lizzie Mollison was residing at 36 Hinkley Street Bay State, Northampton, MA; no mention of John Stewart
- 1930 Census – Enfield St, Enfield, CT; Carpet Mill employee; with Mabel
- 1940 Census – 4 1/2 Pierce Ave, Beverly, MA; no occupation, with Mabel; also have a boarder – Betty Schoberth who did “odd jobs” and was born in Germany. Also states lived in Springfield, MA in 1935 (this was the first time a census asked where someone had lived previously).
John Stewart and Lizzie had obviously separated between 1910 and 1920. Uncertain if they ever divorced, or if he waited until after she passed to marry Mabel. I have not yet found him in 1920 US Census either.